Press "Enter" to skip to content

Troops Free 293 Girls, Women in Sambisa

•They’re not from Chibok, says DHQ

 

A total of 293 females have been rescued from Boko Haram in Sambisa Forest, as Nigerian troops raided the notorious last stronghold of the terrorists in Borno State, military au-thorities disclosed on Tues-day.Two hundred of those rescued were girls, while the remaining 93 were women, the Defence spokesman, Major-General Chris Oluko-lade, confirmed in a series of tweets.

The rescued had raised hopes that the Chibok girls who were kidnapped by members of the sect from their school over one year ago had at last been found. However, General Olukolade told the Daily Times that the girls were not from Chibok, for whom a world plea for rescue is on. When asked by the Daily Times in a text message if the report of the rescue was true, Olukolade responded:
“Yes.”
In another text message, however, the General said: “Not Chibok girls, please. Thanks.” Earlier, the Army boss had in the tweets disclosed that the identities of the rescued persons had not been ascertained, adding that process for that had begun. His first tweet read: “FLASH: Troops this afternoon rescued 200 girls & 93 women from #Sambisa Forest. We cannot confirm if the #ChibokGirls are in this group.” About two minutes later, the military chief tweeted again: “Troops captured and destroyed 3 terrorists camps including the notorious Tokumbere camp in the #Sambisa Forest Operation.”
He then added: “#Sambisa Forest:
The freed persons are now being screened and profiled. We will bring you details later.” The National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) had on March 14 pledged that the military would reclaim the Sambisa forest before President Goodluck Jonathan hands over power.
The military, which had been incapacitated in dealing with the Boko Haram menace for a long time gained considerable strength in weaponry shortly before the last presidential election. Recently, the sect announced a change of name to the Islamic State in West Africa, an indication that its focus would now be shifted to the sub region and not necessarily seek to impose its Islamic rule on the North Eastern part of Nogeria.
“Right now, all Boko Haram camps, except Sambisa Forest have been destroyed,” Dasuki had said. He added: “Every movement of the terrorists is being monitored and every necessary detail is being taken care of to rid the country of the last bastion of terrorists’ infestation.”

 

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: