The Nigerian Army said its troops on Monday averted two separate bomb attacks by three female suicide bombers in Mungonu town, Borno.
A statement issued by the Army spokesman, Col. Sani Usman, said the first foiled attack occurred at 6.15 a.m.
Usman said the first attempted attack was targeted at a camp for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) located on the outskirts of Mungonu.
He said the two suspected suicide bombers were killed by vigilant troops protecting the camp, while three civilians were injured in the attack.
“Today at about 6.15 a.m., two suspected female Boko Haram suicide bombers attempted to attack Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) fetching water at a borehole located about three kilometres, outskirt of Monguno.
“Our vigilant troops detected and gunned them down, killing two of the bombers instantly.
“Unfortunately, the explosive they were strapped with exploded and injured two civilians.”
Usman said the third suicide bomber that followed a different route detonated hers at 7.10 a.m. close to troops’ deployment along the same road.
He said the injured persons had been evacuated and were receiving medical attention at the 8 Task Force Division’s medical facility.
He said the troops have cordoned off the general area and imposed restriction on movement into Monguno.