A mysterious fire outbreak in Akure, the Ondo state capital, has thrown a local mechanic into “double” mourning.
The mechanic, Mr. Abiola Ojo, whose workshop was razed by the fire lost three motorcycles which were burnt to ashes to the fire incident.
Mr. Ojo couldn’t control his emotion as he flay up with tears when approached by our correspondent on Thursday.
The bereaved mechanical engineer explained that the motorcycles belonged to some of his customers.
He added that the customers had came for the repair of the motorcycles at his workshop before the inferno.
“Three motorcycles parked at my workshop for repair by a customer was destroyed by this mysterious fire incident” he wept uncontrollably.
The sad incident was said to have occurred at Ayedun quarters in egbe street at midnight of Thursday.
Daily Times gathered that the fire incident also consumed properties and foodstuffs worth millions of naira belonging to traders in the area.
No life was lost to the incident but some stores, stocked with foodstuffs and consumables, located close to the vicinity were razed by the inferno.
The incident came barely two weeks of a fire outbreak at the local foodstuff market located in Odopetu street in the same town
Daily Times correspondent who visited the scene on Thursday sighted bereaved traders ransacking the left over of the fire incident.
Goods lost to the inferno included: Electronics, bags of rice and beans, yam tubers, palm oil and other farm produce.
It was gathered that the estimate of the goods and properties, perished to the incident, worth millions of naira.
Residents, and traders occupying same street where the fire incident occurred told journalists that the cause of the incident was mysterious.
A bereaved trader, Mrs. Bola Makinde, told journalists that she got wind of the sad incident through a neighbor, who placed a telephone call, at midnight.
“I immediately rushed down to the place but on getting there all my belongings have been consumed by the inferno”.
Sympathizers said that the fire outbreak might have occurred as a result of power surge but residents in the neighborhood claimed there was total blackout before and after the incident.
A source told the Daily Times that the arena of the incident is a makeshift where youngsters wine and dine with cigarette butts mostly at evening.
“And don’t forget this is dry season and anything can happen when it comes to fire” the source said.
Men of the State Fire Service were said to have quenched the fire from spreading to neighbouring street.
The traders have, however,Â pleaded with the state government to come to their aid with a financial assistance as a result of the incident.