Tragedy: 2 polytechnic staff electrocuted in Ekiti

Tragedy struck in Ado Ekiti on Tuesday as two staff of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, were electrocuted.

Eyewitness informed journalists in Ado Ekiti on Tuesday, that the victims were staff of the polytechnic’s department of works and were said to have died while working on a defective borehole on campus.

READ ALSO: Reps okay Buhari’s request to raise N850bn from Capital Market

One of the deceased, whose identity has not been unveiled, was a native of Ado Ekiti while the other victim hailed from Kogi state.

The source recounted that the deceased staff while working on the borehole had attempted to remove the galvanised pipe for repairs before they were electrocuted and died on the spot.

“As they were removing the pipe, they didn’t know that it has gone up to the extent that it could touch a high tension wire around the area.

“Immediately the pipe touched the high tension wire, there was a huge spark that caused the electrocution of the two men.

“Their bodies were charred by the effect of the electrocution while other supportive workers were flung far away, but they neither died nor sustained serious bodily injuries,” the source narrated.

When contacted, the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Mr. Adeyemi Adejolu, confirmed the incident, saying the staff died while performing their duties.

“It was true that they got electrocuted while performing their duties. It was a sad and regrettable incident that the polytechnic will regret for long,” Adejolu said.

He added that the victim from Kogi state had been taken to his town for burial while the family of the other deceased had been contacted.

About the author

Our Correspondent

Leave a Comment