A police commissioner, Damian Chukwu, told Reuters that the evening attack, also injured 5 people, when the suicide bomber struck the city’s Muna Garage Area.
Just the other day in Turkey, Nigeria’s President Muhammad Buhari beat his chest and declared once again that the dreaded Boko Haram terrorist group has been decimated.
Barley 48 hours later, a suicide bomber suspected to a member of the sect killed 13 people in the northeast city of Maiduguri on Sunday.
A police official confirmed the casualty figures to Reuters and described the attack as the deadliest in over a month as the conflict with Boko Haram stretches into its ninth year.
A police commissioner, Damian Chukwu, told Reuters that the evening attack, also injured 5 people, when the suicide bomber struck the city’s Muna Garage area.
Two suicide bombers also injured 13 other people in a separate attack, said Chukwu.
The area is home to some Internally Displaced Persons forced to flee their homes due to attacks by Boko Haram which has left over 20,000 dead.
The conflict, the epicentre of which is in northeastern Nigeria, is showing little sign of slowing, despite assurances by the government and military that Boko Haram is on the verge of defeat.
Last week, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs warned that “attacks against civilians – including suicide bombings in and near internally displaced person camps – continue to be a major concern.”