Aru Bemoans Giro Del Trentino Exit

0

Fabio Aru has described himself as a “wreck” due the intestinal ailment that ruled him out of the Giro del Trentino but the Astana rider remains hopeful that he will be able to line up at the Tour de Romandie next week in preparation for the Giro d’Italia, which gets underway on May 9.

Aru was due to be one of the principal attractions at the Giro del Trentino and the announcement of his withdrawal on Monday, one day before the start of the race, caught the organisers by surprise.

“I trained well on Saturday. On Sunday I started feeling ill, coming and going from the bathroom – a viral intestinal infection, which was diagnosed at the clinic where I was examined,” Aru said. “In two days I had more than 30 attacks of cramps. I’m a wreck.”

Aru said that he has been prescribed “a cycle of antibiotics to crush the virus” – although it should be noted that antibiotics are used to treat bacterial rather than viral infections. In any case, Aru said that he did not know the origin of his infection.

Aru has spent 28 days training at altitude on Mount Teide so far this season, almost double his amount of race days  to date, and he estimated that prior to his illness, he was “further ahead” in his preparation than a year ago, when he went on to finish third overall at the Giro d’Italia.

Leave a Reply