The KEFFES host communities have signed a memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the First Global Exploration and Petroleum Development Company Ltd, Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and First E and P on OMLs 83 and 85.
KEFFES is an acronym for Koluama I & II, Ekeni, Fish Town, Foropa, Ezetu I &II and Sangana located on the Atlantic fringe of Southern Ijaw and Brass local government areas of Bayelsa State.
The agreement, according to the signatories to the MoU signed in Bayelsa, will promote mutual understanding and coordinated empowerment and training of indigenes of the host communities in Southern Ijaw and Brass Areas of the State.
The General Manager, Corporate Services, First Global Exploration and Petroleum Development Company Ltd, Mr. Emmanuel Etomi, announced that as part of the benefits of the MoU, the companyhas concluded plans to send at least 50 teachers in the state on capacity building at the University of Lagos.
Etomi explained that First Exploration and Petroleum Development Company recognizes the fact that oil producing communities in the Niger Delta region are critical stakeholders in development.
According to him, the company in the past three years have been briefing various communities in the state on how development can be actualized with the support of stakeholders in the oil producing communities.
In his remarks, Secretary of the Board of Trustees of KEFFES communities, HRM King Israel N. Igbousa – ODUO X, admonished the oil companies to regularly engage host communities in their activities to avoid crisis.
The royal father described the event as the beginning of a fruitful development for the state government, oil producing communities and oil companies emphasizing that the event will redefine the mindset of the people.
Spokesman of a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), Mr. Kayode Soremekun, in a vote of thanks expressed delight that the calibre of personalities that honoured the event was a demonstration of sincerity in the MOU.
The Bayelsa State Commissioner for Mineral Resources, Mr. Markson Fefegha challenged multinational oil companies operating in the state to go beyond signing MoU with host communities and genuinely develop the areas to check restiveness in the state.
Mr. Fefegha said it has become necessary for oil producing communities in the state to be actively involved in the development of the communities so that agitations and oppression will be minimized.
He explained that the Niger Delta Communities with the signing of the MoU will continue to remain peaceful so that the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the state and federal governments will grow.
OML 83 and OML 85 are in shallow waters 40 km offshore in the Niger Delta. The Anyala and Madu fields are discoveries with a combined STOIIP of more than 450 million bbl and GIIP of more than 800 Bscf.
First E&P holds a 40 percent interest in the licenses and is the operator of the asset, while NNPC holds the remaining 60 percent.