Xenophobic Attacks: Eight Nigerians Want to Return Home, Says Consul General

0

Nigeria’s Consul General in South Africa, Amb. Uche Ajulu-Okeke, said on Wednesday that eight Nigerians have so far indicated interest to return home due to xenophobic attacks.
Okeke on phone from Johannesburg, South Africa, said that the Nigerian mission was already working with them to facilitate their journey back home.
‘’ I am working with eight Nigerians who have indicated interest to go home. They are presently at the deportation holding facility at Limbola, South Africa,’’ she said.
The Consul General said the mission held a meeting with leaders of the Nigerian Union in the nine provinces of South Africa.
‘’ The meeting was successful. Victims of the attacks came with wounds, including machete and gunshot wounds.
‘’ They narrated how they were attacked and brought pictures. We took note of all that.
‘’ The mission asked all the provincial chairmen of the union to collate all information reported,’’ she said.
Okeke said the report would be sent to the Federal Government for further action, adding that the mission and the union worked out a vigilance defence mechanism to protect Nigerians.
She also said the attacks had reduced and that Nigerians were asked to be vigilant inspite of the current development.
The President of Nigerian Union in South Africa, Mr Ikechukwu Anyene, also said that the meeting with the mission was used to assess the situation and take stock of losses suffered by Nigerians.
‘’ It was a successful meeting. Victims of the attack came and gave firsthand account of their experiences.
‘’ We asked them to collate their losses and these will be sent to the government for further action,’’ he said.

Leave a Reply