President Goodluck Jonathan has said that Federal Government is doing everything humanly possible to ensure that the nation’s troops avoid any form of human rights abuse as they intensify efforts aimed at reclaiming territories from insurgents in parts of the country.
He said care was also being taken to avoid damage to lives and properties of civilians during the operation.
Speaking through a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati on Tuesday, Jonathan said, while previous reports of rights abuse by the military had been investigated and found to be exaggerated, his government was closely monitoring the troops in this current effort.
He said international best practices was being adhered to in the anti-terrorism war.
He said, “We are sticking to international best practices in prosecuting the war against terrorism and doing our best to ensure that we don’t have cases of human rights abuses in the North-East.
“We are consistently monitoring the situation and have investigated previous reports of such abuse which were mostly blown out of proportion for political reasons.
“Our military has a reputation for discipline and we have insisted on that discipline and control for the safety of civilians in the North-East.
“The purpose of the entire operation is to save our people from the brutal tyranny of Boko Haram, so we cannot tolerate human rights abuses or willfully impose further suffering on them.”
Jonathan said the nation’s entire security apparatus was being reviewed with a view to ensuring safety for Nigerians and foreign workers in all parts of the country.
He urged friends of the country, especially those that are more technologically advanced, to complement government’s efforts aimed at building a more secure and prosperous country, that which citizens and foreigners could live in peace.
The president made this known while granting audience to the new South Korean Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Noh Kyu-Duk, who was at the Presidential Villa, Abuja to present his letters of credence.
The President urged Kyu-Duk and his Indonesian counterpart, Mr. Harry Purwanto, who was also at the Presidential Villa for the same purpose, to work for the strengthening of existing trade and economic relations between Nigeria and their countries.
The new ambassadors thanked Jonathan for receiving them and assured him that they will do their best to promote stronger economic and cultural relations between their countries and Nigeria during their tenure in Abuja.