Cholera Outbreak Kills 25 in Ebonyi

0

 

 

No fewer than twenty-five people have been reported killed by the outbreak of cholera in Ebonyi state.

According to the Director, Public Health and Disease Control in the state Ministry of Health, Christian Achi, a total of 256 persons had been affected by the outbreak since February when the first case was reported.

However, he said many of the victims had been receiving treatment in various hospitals across the state.

“The outbreak was first noticed in Amachi, Abakaliki local government area of the state, but it has spread to six other local government areas of the state,” he said.

“The ministry was doing its best to curtail the outbreak, as it has sent its personnel to the affected councils while assisting those receiving treatment at the various hospitals.

“The victims were offering treatment to themselves and their condition deteriorated before they were brought to the hospital, as most of them already had renal breakdown.

“The latest casualties were recorded in Oriuzor, Ezza North, Umuogudu-Akpu in Ohaukwu, and Umuogudu-Oshia, also in Ohaukwu local government areas.”

Achi added that a team of medical experts from the federal ministry of health visited the state on April 22, to assess and control the situation.

“They left the state on April 24 after providing vaccines and other medicines for effective control of the disease,” he said.

He advised the people to avail themselves of health facilities, especially in the rural areas, to check high fatality rate of the outbreak and to also be conscious of their personal hygiene.

“Individuals are also advised to wash their hands frequently before eating or after going to toilet to check the spread of the outbreak in the state,” he said.

Leave a Reply