Kano state government on Monday, promised to investigate a story being circulating on social media platforms on purported increase in number of COVID-19 deaths within two days and buried in some cemeteries within the metropolis.
The state Commissioner for Health, Ibrahim Tsanyawa said in a press release signed by the ministry’s spokesperson Hadiza Namadi, that so far the veracity of the claim cannot be ascertained.
“The state Commissioner of Health, Dr. Aminu Tsanyawa, hereby assures the general public that investigation into the matter is ongoing to verify the claim and possible causes of the deaths,” he said.
Tsanyawa also assured that, the public will be informed on the outcome of the investigation in due course.
READ ALSO: Gunmen kidnap second class Chief in Plateau
While he prayed for the repose of the souls of the departed, the commissioner also advised people to continue to observe social distancing, wash hands regularly, avoid gatherings and stay at home to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Investigation however, revealed that in the last three days, Kano state has witnessing cases of mass death in the state.
Some undertakers and attendants at Dandolo Gwauran Dutse, said 61 deaths were recorded between Saturday and Monday.
At Gyadi-Gyali Cemetery along Court Road, 31 dead bodies were buried on Saturday while 21 burials were witnessed at Farm Center Cemetery on Saturday alone.