Barely 12 months after the two construction giants – Julius Berger Nigeria Plc and Reynolds Construction Company (RCC) abandoned work on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, the contractors have now returned to site to resume work.
Work was suspended on the ever-busy road in July as a result of some issues with the federal government.
Back then, Julius Berger relocated some equipment from its site yard near the Sagamu Interchange, and also downsized some of its workforce.
However, a NAN correspondent, who took a trip on the highway on Saturday, said officials of both Julius Berger and RCC were seen moving heavy equipment to sites with their men already mobilised to work on the various sections.
The correspondent said investigations revealed that Julius Berger began work on Friday, while RCC moved to site on Tuesday.
The report said piles of crash barriers were observed at Wawa, which is part of section one from Lagos to Sagamu interchange, being handled by Julius Berger.
Also, officials of Julius Berger were seen using earth moving equipment to carry crash barriers to demarcate construction zones.
An engineer, who did not want to be named, said the demarcation was for effective traffic management.
“The New Jersey Barricades (crash barriers) will be moved to the other carriageway when we finish work on this side, it will speed up our work and at the same time help to traffic control,’’ he said.
On Section two of the project which spans from Sagamu interchange to Ibadan, RCC surveyors were seen on site, while earth moving equipment were scarifying some sections of the road.
A surveyor, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said survey works to determine heights and depths of the highway along Km 91 on the expressway had been on for two days.
“We have covered one kilometre so far,” he said.
Also, officials of the firm were seen deploying their equipment at Alomoja to grade the road. One of them said: “We are grading, then we will remove the rubbish and give the road stone base and mill the road.”
It was also observed that work was in progress around Oni Garri, close to the Ibadan old toll gate and other sections of the highway.
A ministry of works official, who was monitoring resumption of work on the road, expressed satisfaction with the prompt compliance of the firms to return to site.
“Serious work has begun and hopefully by Monday laying of asphalt will begin on the second section.”
In 2013, the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan awarded the rehabilitation of the expressway at a total cost of N167 billion.