Whether we do it consciously or not, we do worry about many things and sometimes not worrying is considered as being irresponsible. We might worry about the past, and the future, what people will think of us, whether we are successful or what will happen to us. Often, we go to the extent of worrying about the things that have the probability of never happening: still we worry especially about the future and ask the unanswerable question, “What will happen in future?”
Many may agree that the main reason people worry about their future is simply due to the uncertainty the future holds. Despite the preparations we make for the dangers we know, there are many more unexpected dangers, which make life hard and unpredictable. Bad experiences that seem to happen to all kinds of people, and inability to control the future are also factors that make us worry about the future.
Many of us have witnessed doctors get sick, financial experts lose money in the stock market, policemen get robbed, lawyers get sued, and witness many other things happen to the least expected people. Moreover, these experiences make us wonder what will happen to us in the future and worry and unfortunately, once we start to worry, we cannot come over it easily. The control we have in our life to protect ourselves from any kind of harm, and the ability to decide the route of life we take makes us worry about the future. We have no control what so ever regarding the life we might lead, and how and when to protect ourselves from harm.
Losing control is one’s life is also another key factor for worrying about the future. What we really need in such conditions is something that will allow us to have peace in the midst of uncertainty and face reality without being consumed by worry or anxiety. Here, it doesn’t mean that we should stop caring or preparing ourselves for the future, rather we can still prepare for the future without going to the extreme of worrying without doing anything and fretting about things. According to various writers and psychologists the best solution for overcoming anxiety or worry is the concept of living one day at a time. Instead of worrying about what will come and what has already happened, treasure the time we have at hand. And every time the anxiety of the future floods our mind, we need to shift back to the present and focus all our attention to the present. If you can full-fill each 24 hours 1,440 minutes and 86,400 seconds, then you would not even have the time to worry about other things. And once you have dealt with today, you will deal with whatever comes the next week, month or year. We also need to remember that no one can predict the future and despite all the preparations there is the possibility that a million things can go wrong. Though there are people that try to avoid worrying by pretending or putting on blinders, avoiding the issue and refusing to acknowledge the possibility of anything going on is wrong. People who will say: “If I would have known that this would happen, I could deal with it” and sing the song “Don’t worry, be happy” but pretending doesn’t push away the anxiety button. If we believe that we can face what life has put on our plate for each day, then that is when we start to overcome anxiety. And try to implement the saying that tomorrow is mystery while yesterday is history but today is a gift that needs to be treasured and that is why it is called the present.
How do we stop fearing uncertainty and the future?
- Start living in the now. Stop worrying about the future or even the past. Start living in the moment you are in now. Focus on how you feel now and what going on around you. Stop spending your time thinking and planning for events that may never happen at all. Take the time to stop and smell the roses.
- Learn to accept things for how they are. Don’t worry about what might happen. Just learn to accept EVERYTHING that you come across in your life. If you accept it then it can’t bother you are cause you any stress.
- Face your fears head on by figuring out the worst case scenario and coming to terms with it. If are worried about how a meeting at work might turn out. Then figure out the worst case scenario like you get fired. Is it really that bad? NO! Chances are you will have a new job in matter of time and go right on about your life. Sometimes things that seem really bad turn out better in the long run.
- Embrace change and run with it. Life is always changing. You are always changing. Situations and people are always changing. Accept this fact. No matter how comfortable you have become with you current life things will change. The best way to handle this is to embrace the change and just flow with life.
- Step back and realize how much of everything you cling to. If you are over attached to anything or anybody you need to step back and get a wakeup call. You could lose it all in an instant and what really matters is what you have built up on the inside. Consider cleaning out your clutter and moving on with your life.
- Don’t be afraid to mess up and make mistakes. So many great successes came shortly after failure. After all you can’t become successful unless you try. If you fear mistakes to much you may never even try at all.
- Enjoy the unknown. Become excited when surprises enter into your life. Feel alive and live for the excitement and thrill when the unplanned happen. You will find this really does work. Even if you don’t believe it at first give it a try and you will begin to on your own.
Everyone has experienced some sort of fear of the future. Whether it’s something that you know is going to happen or if it’s something you fear might happen. The fear of the uncertain or unknown is part of human nature and it is one of our oldest fears. We don’t fear the future, but what we fear is something we don’t like happening. This could be change, pain, suffering, loss of anything, failing, etc. Some of these fears aren’t even realistic, like fear of failing. You don’t know you’re going to fail. Actually, there is just as much of a chance of you becoming successful. Do you fear that? The odds are basically the same today, tomorrow, and next week of anything good or bad happening. You can’t predict the future. The only real influence you have is when you get into a certain mindset then you start to work towards that thought, good or bad, with or without you knowing about it consciously. Your subconscious mind works in mysterious ways and sometimes it can bring your fears into reality. Don’t get caught up in this kind of thinking.