The Minister of Youth and Sports Barrister Solomon Dalung has expressed shock over the shooting of Nigeria Football Federation’s Head of Protocol, Ibrahim Abubakar in Abuja on Wednesday.
Dalung who paid a condolence visit to the NFF on Wednesday in Abuja in company of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Mr Christian Chinyeaka Ohaa said that it was shocking and sad to hear of the killing of such a hardworking man.
“We received the sad news this morning of the killing of Ibrahim Abubakar and I’m deeply shocked at the shooting of Ibrahim Abubakar in his house today by armed robbers. We are moved that he had to meet his end in that gruesome manner. That adds weight to the level of criminality, high-profile killings and insecurity that has characterized our society.
“It’s sad he departed at a time his services were most needed. It is a very sad news not only to us in the Ministry of Youth and Sports, but to the entire football family,” he said.
Dalung also called on the need to beef up security in the country to protect innocent lives and property.
In his response, the Assistant Secretary-General of the NFF Dr Emmanuel Ikpeme thanked the Minister for his prompt visit to commiserate with the Federation over the sad incident.
“On behalf of the board and management of the NFF, I want to sincerely appreciate the Minister for coming to commiserate with us within the short notice with this high calibre delegation. We’ve noted the sentiments expressed concerning the need for security to overcome some of these criminal acts that are being observed in recent times. I left him in the office yesterday at about 6pm so I was shocked to hear this morning that he had been shot to death this morning.
“I join members of the family of the deceased and other Nigerians to pray that God in His infinite mercy grants the soul of the departed eternal peace,” Ikpeme said.
CAPTION: Minister of Youth and Sports Barrister Solomon Dalung.