Building collapse: FCT minister orders rescue team back to site Press "Enter" to skip to content

Building collapse: FCT minister orders rescue team back to site

The end is yet to come about the recently collapsed building in Jabi district, Abuja, as number of fatalities hits three. This follows a resumed rescue operations ordered by Federal Capital Territory (FCT), minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello.

According to Bello, the decision to order the rescue team back to site was as a result of strong concerns that there could still be people under the rubbles as families continue to search for members.

Daily Times recalls that Jabi residents vehemently protested over the sudden disappearance of the rescue team hours after the building collapsed without rescuing all the people covered by the rubbles.

Meanwhile, it was as a result of the resumed operation that the body of Sadiq Aliu, was discovered, vindicating the minister’s directive.

Malam Aliu’s corpse was to be evacuated to the morgue when his relatives rather preferred to proceed to the cemetery for his burial, in accordance with Islamic rites.

The other two fatalities were: Bashiru Mohammed, the site foreman and another young man who is yet to be identified were also buried last Friday, after they had been confirmed dead.

The site engineer, Friday Alu is said to be on intensive care at the Cedar crest Hospital Apo.

However, officials of the FCT Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) were not allowed access to him when they called to know how the Agency could be of assistance.

The other four were reported to have sustained minor injuries and had left Gwarimpa Hospital where they were taken to by relatives and friends after initial treatment.

Those affected were mostly personnel working on the building site at the time of the incident.

FCT minister, while commiserating with the families of the deceased, emphasized the need for a thorough clearance of the entire rubbles to ensure that no other body is trapped beneath the debris.

On arrangements made for the treatment of the injured, the Acting Deputy Director and Head, Forecasting, Response and Mitigation of the Agency, Mrs. Florence Wenegieme said the Agency has three hospitals set aside for emergency treatments, namely; Wuse, Asokoro and Maitama general hospitals.

The uncompleted four-storey building complex near the Jabi Motor Park had collapsed on Friday last week prompting an immediate mobilization of men and machines to the site of the disaster by both federal and FCT emergency agencies.

Coordinator of the Abuja Metropolitan Management Council (AMMC), Umar Shuaibu also indicated that investigations have commenced to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the building collapse.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

shares