President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to commission the recently completed first Phase of the Abuja Light Rail Project on Thursday.
The president would also be expected to flag-off the railway services signalling the commencement of operations of the long-awaited rail services in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.
The Phase, which comprises Lots 1A and 3, is only an integral part of the six Lots which form the scope of the FCT railway system.
The 5.245km standard gauge rail line running from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport to the Abuja Metro Station has been in the works for over 11 years.
Inherited at 63 percent completion, the remaining 37 percent was fast-tracked to completion within the two years of the current Administration by dint of resolute commitment to prudent management of resources.
The commissioning would mark formal commencement of rail service and the fulfilment of long awaited dream for modern state-of-the-art mass transit systems for the FCT.
The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has solicited the partnership of the Nigerian Railway Corporation to ensure a hitch free operation of the Abuja rail mass transit system.
In a meeting with officials of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC), ahead of the commissioning, FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello, last week disclosed that some skeletal staff have already been employed to start some of the operations, added that the expertise and experience of NRC would also be indispensable.