Breaking: Gunmen kill 22 in Kaduna

At least 22 people have been reportedly killed by gunmen in fresh attacks in Kaduna State in an attack involving four villages in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of the State

The Nation Nigeria reports that the gunmen launched what sources described as coordinated attacks on Apyia’Shyim, A’Piako, Atak’Mawei, and Kibori villages, all in Atyap Chiefdom of Zangon Kataf.

READ ALSO: Presidency debunks absorbing repentant Boko Haram members in Military

Zango-Kataf has been at the heart of recent attacks in the southern part of Kaduna State.

The situation had necessitated the state governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai to impose a 24-hour curfew since June 11.

According to sources, the attackers operated unchallenged by any security agents in the state.

According to the source, “It rained all through the night in the area and the attackers had unchallenged operations from around 10 pm Wednesday which entered early hours of Thursday.

“By the time they were done, 22 corpses have so far recovered at about 12pm today (Thursday) while the search is still on. They also burnt several houses,” the source said.

A resident of Atak’mawei village in Zamandabo ward, Irimiya Gandu, also narrated that at least 13 persons have been killed and many houses set ablaze in his community.

According to him, “around 1:00am, I was already asleep when I heard the sound of gunshots. I stepped out from our compound we could hear the sound of gunshots from Apia’akum Community and far Kibori village were already under attack. I rushed into my house and brought out my families and ran to a safer place.

“So far, 13 persons are killed mostly Children and women. We are still looking for more. Many houses were burnt also,” he said.

Also, a survivor from Apia’ahko village, Samson Alat said, an aged man, a little child and youth were killed when armed men invaded the village. “They burnt the house of late Col. Bobai and five important houses and stole from the village,” he said.

According to him, “soldiers came on motor bikes and an armoured tank, but they could not stop these wicked people. We were hiding inside maize farm and we saw them. This was around 1am last night. We are still looking for more missing people.”

A resident in Apiashyim, Jonathan Ishaya said six persons were killed during the attack in his community and that the village was almost entirely burnt to the ground.

He recalls that the armed men invaded the Community heavily armed at around 11:00pm of Wednesday, shooting sporadically.

Secretary, Atyap Traditional Council, Mr Stephen Akut, also confirmed the development to journalists that, “the attackers were said to be in large numbers and that the casualty figures are still sketchy. Security operatives have been mobilize to the affected communities.”

Chairman of Zango Kataf Local Government Area, Dr Elias Manza in his account of the tragedy, confirmed that three corpses were recovered in Kurmin Masara, six in Apyia Shyam (Asha a Wuce) and 10 in Takmawai where the assailants wantonly destroyed lives and property.

Several calls were put across to the Police Public Relations Officer for Kaduna State Police Command, ASP Muhammad Jalige, all of which were declined.

Insecurity, characterised by mass killings in Southern Kaduna has remained a bone in the throat of the Mallam Nasir El-Rufai’s administration, prompting both the State and Federal governments to revise strategies towards arresting this worrying situation. It appears the villains of this tragic story remain undeterred and undaunted in their resolve to pepertrate wanton destruction of lives and property.

About the author

Edidiong-Ronny Ikpoto

Leave a Comment