The Nigerian Army yesterday commenced the trial of 22 officers over the alleged involvement in the ongoing war on terror.
The 22 officers had been arrested and indicted over alleged sabotage in the war against Islamist militant group Boko Haram in the North eastern part of the country.
The General Court Marshal, taking place at Officers Mess of 9 Brigade Headquarters, Nigerian Army, Ikeja, was amidst tight security. Journalists were barred from the trial venue.
Before now, the trial had been postponed three times in a roll since the army authority signified its intention to hold the trial in Lagos,
It was gathered that the court Martial of the 22 Army officers was earlier scheduled to begin on Friday, January 16, 2915 but was postponed.
A lawyer to one officers on trial Mr. Femi Falana told journalists on phone in Lagos, that he was not at the trial venue since the case involving his client, one General Komolafe, was not going to be heard.
He said that the military authority had assured him that they would inform him when his client case was going to come up
Falana also admitted representing Brigadier-General Ransomed Kuti, though, he declined commenting on the matter, since his client case had not come up.
Said he, “The military authority has told the world that they have just taking delivery of military equipment. I feel there is no need to put them on trial. That is why we congratulated them in the successes so far recorded.
“This confirmed that as at the time they were arrested there was no weapon to fight, but now that they have weapons, they should release the boys to go and join others to fight.”