The death of eight people in a stadium stampede has elicited the president who having commiserated with the victims and their families, vowed to investigate the lethal incident.
Macky Sall, Senegalese president, irritated by the incident .says a probe will be open into a deadly stadium stampede in the capital, Dakar. Adding that complicit officials will be held accountable for the tragedy.
“Outraged by the incidents of the Demba Diop Stadium. Light will be shed on this tragedy, officials identified and punished,” the president said in a tweet vis his personal handle.
The incident which occurred on Saturday at the Demba Diop stadium claimed eight lives during a match between two local clubs. As a result, campaigning for Senegal’s legislative elections due on July 30 will be suspended out of respect for the victims, said a spokesman for President Macky Sall.
Reuters reported that a fight between fans of the two sides – US Ouakam and Stade de Mbour forced police to fire tear gas.
The resulting confusion triggered the stampede, Sports Minister Matar Ba told journalists. The minister added a young girl was among the dead, while around 60 injured fans had been taken to health facilities in Dakar.
The highest Senegalese football administrator, Fatma Samoura, who is General Secretary of FIFA also tweeted her condolences to victims of the tragedy.