The Internet World Statistics (IWS) has declared that despite the growth of Information Technology (IT) on the continent of Africa, some 90.7 percent still remain without Internet access, leaving only 9.3 percent with access.
However, Dayn Amade of Mozambican technology start-up company Kamaleon has canvassed the need to increase Internet access, adding that it was vital to providing wider access to education and health awareness in rural communities, especially in Mozambique where 24 million people, in a population of 28.3 million, has no Internet connection.
“A few years ago anyone who could not read and write was considered illiterate, but today this concept goes further, encompassing people who do not know how to use information and communication technologies. Health organizations and schools in Africa often face a unique set of obstacles, including a lack of access to much-needed health education and counselling platforms. The Community Tablet was created to help solve these problems,” Amade stressed.
Amade highlighted that today’s digital world which is tailored towards bringing Internet access to rural communities is a huge step towards social development and education, hence Kamaleon developed an innovative and engaging way of promoting digital literacy through a shared platform called the “Community Tablet”.
Community Tablet, Amade said, is a solar powered mobile computer with touch screen displays and virtual keyboards built in on a trailer to provide Internet access to remote areas.
In order to facilitate interaction with the virtual world, Amade said that Kamaleon also offers training on how to use the Internet and its features to members of the community and the local workforce.
The Community Tablet, launched in November 2016 in Mozambique, aims at promoting digital inclusion and a knowledge-based society in Africa.
Amade further stated it will be used to support campaigns on various health and education initiatives in partnership with governmental and private organizations.
“Spreading up-to-date messages and interactive lessons that showcase symptoms, prevention and treatment options – replacing the need for leaflet distributions to convey life-saving information; Kamaleon is on a mission to close the digital divide and empower more people in Africa to engage in the digital economy and its educational benefits,” Amade emphasized.
“I believe technology and digital literacy can contribute to the greater effectiveness of civic education campaigns in various communities.”