Two multi-storey buildings were gutted by fire at different locations in Lagos Island on Tuesday, destroying goods and property worth millions of naira in the ever busy commercial city centre.
The six-storey building situated at Oluwole Market, adjacent to Mandillas Building, and another three-storey building located
While the fire at the three-storey building on Dosumu street was successfully put off, fire servicemen were still battling to extinguish the fire raging at the six-storey building at Martins Street as at 7:40p.m. Tuesday.
A combined team of servicemen from
The Director General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu
“We are able to locate and localised the fire but the major challenge we are having is access to major source of the fire; secondly, we discovered that they stored highly inflammable materials in the building.”
The way the building is positioned is adjacent and interlocked to the centre area, but we make use of combined team method to localise the fire which spread from one shop to the other but we are trying to put it off now,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.
He appealed to Lagos citizens, especially the traders at Lagos Island markets, not to panic as there was no casualty involved in the incident
He, however, pleaded with traders to stop putting generators and petrol inside their shops to avoid similar accidents in the area
Also speaking to newsmen, Director General, Lagos State Safety Commission, Mr Lanre Mojola, attributed crowd control as a major challenge at scenes of fire and other accidents said that and other stakeholders were working hard in ensuring that the fire did not affect any other building in the Elegushi, Special Adviser to Gov. -Olu on Lagos Central Business District, said the state would soon provide fire hydrants in the area to enable the servicemen have access to the affected traders and urged them to insure their property to enable them sustain their The South West Commanding Officer, Federal Fire Service, Mr Ganiu Olayiwola, said there was for hydrant in Lagos markets, saying that insufficient access to water affected putting off the fire.